Hope you and your family had a good, long rest over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. One of the things I was able to do was check out a movie with my brother, Gerald, who came home from the “Big Apple” for the holidays.
We both wanted to see a movie that would scare the bejeezus outta of us and I heard of this new flick, Paranormal Activity, that might do the trick.
Paranormal Activity has generated a ton of internet buzz (been widely promoted with SMM Social Media Marketing) and has generated the same buzz that The Blair Witch Project did a few years back.
Paranormal Activity was shot with a hand-held camera, in the producers bedroom, for around $15K. Presently, the film has raked in about $150 million dollars. Not a bad ROI, you think?
The movie, to be honest, was so-so. I’ve seen scarier in my day, but while I was watching the movie the idea for this security marketing tip/blog post pop into my head – as if that wasn’t some weird paranormal occurrence, in itself.
The term Paranormal is used as a general term that describes unusual experiences that lack a scientific explanation, or phenomena alleged to be outside of science’s current ability to explain or measure.
I often see security dealers and low voltage installers haunted by the slooow economy and the unexplained mysteries they see everyday. I find security dealers that get dragged into these weird paranormal occurrences.
Paranormal Activities of a Struggling Security Dealer….
Please take this test below and if you answer yes to “just” one of these questions then you are haunted by the Ghost of the Current Recession…
- Have you cut your marketing/advertising budget?
- Do you find yourself saying, “If everyone else is slow,and I’m slow too it makes me feel good?”
- Do you work, worry, and eat more?
- Have you been sleeping and exercising less?
- Do you blame the state of your security business on Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid (aka The Welfare Party)?
- Do you blame Wall Street?
- Do you blame your woes on the town or area you live in?
- Do you blame your wife?
- Have you let your any staff and/or technicians go?
- Have you been offering ONLY services you [think] customers want and can afford to pay?
- Have you downsized your automobile?
- Have you downgraded your cable (cut Showtime, HBO and Cinemax)?
- Have you axed minutes on your cell phone plan?
- Have you taken smaller, and less frequent vacations?
- Did you cancel your golf course membership?
- Did you sell-off your vacation house?
- Did you down-size your Yellow Page Ad?
- Are you hoping your brother-in-law decides to host the Christmas party at his house this year, so you don’t have to pick up the tab?
Who you Gonna Call…Ghost -Busters!
Here is my prescription to you if you’ve answered “Yes” to any of the questions above:
You should call Ghost-Busters for a Paranormal Extermination Service of your mind!
Ok. Just kidding! Really. So what should YOU do if you are “in a security sales slump?” Chances are, somewhere along the line, you stopped learning and growing and are now operating from your existing knowledge base. The only way you can do more is by learning more.
Go through my Smokin’ Security Newsletter system as if you’re going through it for the very first time. Spend at least 30 minutes every single day reading or listening to my CD’s on marketing, personal finance, and personal growth.
What have you been feeding your brain over the last 5,10,15yrs? If you’ve been watching Ice Road Truckers on the Discovery channel, then you know more about how to get an 18-wheeler across the frozen ice then how to talk a new client into upgrading his access control system. If you’ve been reading Sports Illustrated (it better be the swimsuit edition!), then you know more about the Yankees, USC Trojans and Tiger Woods then you know about how to attract customers that pay, stay and refer…not such a good thing when you’re in the security business!
Write This in Blood…
The absolutely, positively most important knowledge you need is not about installing security or low voltage electronic systems. The most important knowledge you need is about marketing, or in other words, being a “Security Marketing Expert.” This is infinitely more profitable then being just a security installer/business owner.
When you master your marketing, you’ve mastered your whole business life.
Have a great day!